Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Excuses, excuses...

I occasionally live in a state of denial and at other times I am downright delusional. The realization that I was delusional in thinking that my two young children could share a room without waking one another up and that their sleep and wake schedules would be completely in sync is what has led me to rearrange a lot of furniture and completely ignore this blog as well as the laundry, grocery shopping, toy picking up, exercising, occasionally my children and everything else on my to-do list. My grand master plan was for Love Bug to sleep in our room in his co-sleeper until he started sleeping through the night and then transition him into Sweet Pea's room where they would share the space in perfect harmony. This plan fell apart because Love Bug shows no signs of sleeping through the night any time soon and I believe that sleeping in the co-sleeper was actually training him to wake up repeatedly throughout the night. Every time he woke up I was right their to nurse him back to sleep and he has developed no self-soothing abilities - NONE. So after almost 6 months of no sleep and a failed attempt (and believe me I mean FAILED - the evening ended with both kids in my bed one nursing and one being held after Sweet Pea woke up in the middle of the night which woke up Love Bug and they both proceeded to cry, a lot, at 3:00 in the morning) at having the kiddos share a room I moved Sweet Pea into a big girl room.
First I rearranged the nursery and moved the diaper changer back into the room and out of the hallway. I am desperately hoping that Sweet Pea will not be in diapers for much longer and the diaper changer can just stay in Love Bug's room, but I'm somewhat delusional - remember.
Then I moved all of the office stuff into the guest bedroom and organized the closet to be a mini office storage, supply, book keeping area.
After all of the office stuff was moved out I moved Sweet Pea's bed into the office and organized the closet to be well a closet. At the moment the room is just a bed so I will post pictures when it looks more like a room. Since the big move everyone is a little happier. Sweet Pea really likes her big girl room and her new window (which was what caused me to not move her sooner and is now the most secured window in existence because not only am I delusional, I have a really active imagination). We have started some sleep training with Love Bug and he has been doing well and has slept through the night twice in the last week. Granted I did not sleep through the night because I had to make sure he was still breathing (active imagination - remember) and he has been happier during the day because he has been getting more sleep - he has even started napping.
So, now onto what all (and by all I mean my Mom and Dad) of you have been waiting for. The kids and I had a fantastic trip to the outer banks. We spent lots of time with Nana and Andaddy and also got to see Scott, Heather, and Char-char. The beach was wonderful. It was perfect weather and the tide was so calm. The neatest part about the beach was that the tide created a lagoon area in front of the surf that was there the entire week and was great for Sweet Pea to play in. Love Bug spent all of his time at the beach lounging in his cabana under the umbrella while Sweet Pea played in the surf and sand.

Sweet Pea LOVED the beach. She played in the surf and made sandcastles and knocked down sandcastles (sorry beach neighbors), buried my feet and legs in the sand, put sand on Blake (that was fun - insert sarcasm here), made lots of new friends, held a sand flea an older kid had found, floated in the lagoon, ate sandy snacks, and at the end of the day generally had to be bribed to leave or be carried off the beach like a sack of potatoes. Love Bug was not as impressed because he usually ended each trip with sand in his diaper - ouch.


We also got to go out on Andaddy and Nana's new boat and Sweet Pea got to go fishing with Andaddy and Uncle Scott. The boat trip was really fun and we went all around the sound. We saw an entire group of Dolphins playing about 10 feet from the boat and we watched them for a long time and Sweet Pea got to drive the boat and then proceeded to try and push all of the buttons.


This was such a great trip. It was so nice to get to see Uncle Scott, Aunt Heather and Char-char too and we are so glad they all made the trip to the beach.

Back at home Love Bug as started eating "solid" foods. He really likes to eat. He grabs the spoon and makes little grunting noises in between bites. He eats a lot per sitting and if this is any indication for his teen years I will have to take a second job just to keep the cabinets stocked. A few days ago he ate half of a banana and a third of an avocado and tonight he ate a jar of carrots, a jar of sweet potatoes and some rice cereal. I have been just mashing up whatever is on hand and I had a few jars for easy meals, but I am excited to start making some baby food again (you know in my free time).

Peas - YUM YUM!

Sweet Pea likes to "help" feed Love Bug
I just had to throw in this last picture because she is just so darn cute. I was looking at the days pictures from the beach and when she saw the camera she said "take p-ture of me mama" and then struck this pose. And even though it is way later than the 11:00 bedtime I have imposed upon myself here are a few shots of Love Bug at the park.




Wow - that took a while. Goodnight.
- Raleigh

No comments:

Post a Comment