Yeah, we made it. After a momentary lapse in sanity last month I booked a flight for myself, Sweet Pea and Love Bug to go to the Outer Banks of North Carolina to visit my parents. When I regained my sanity (well at least most of it - who can be completely sane with two small children anyway) I began to worry about the plane ride. Then we had a week of terrible two behavior and I really began to worry. Luckily, that behavior subsided a bit before we left, but WoW it was traumatizing. After all the worry our flights went well. Sweet Pea fell asleep in the car on the way to the airport and so I put her in Love Bug's car seat stroller set up and she rested while I checked all of us in, went through security and got to our gate. I put Love Bug in the ergo and he slept also. We got to the gate and Sweet Pea was hungry so I grabbed some Micky D's (I know that I adimately declared at one point in life that my kids would not eat MacDonalds, but I was wrong, and it was not the first nor will it be the last time I eat my words - pardon the pun). Then we got THE NEWS. The news that our flight would be delayed by at least an hour due to thunderstorms. Now considering that we only had a 35 minute layover in Hot-Lanta this news created a bit of a problem. Then the attendent continued on to say that most of the connecting flights were the last flights out for the night if we missed our flight we would have to spend the night in Hot-Lanta then go standby the next day. Doesn't that sound like fun with two small children?? At this point optomism, denial, or lack of sanity kicked back in and I thought maybe, just maybe the flights out of ATL would be delayed too. So we all boarded the plane, settled in, ate snacks, watched movies, ate more snacks, colored, ate more snacks, read books, ate more snacks and well you get the point. Amazingly, the pilot was able to make up quite a bit of time once we were in the air. Our original arrival time had been 11pm and we landed in Atlanta at 11:28pm with our connecting flight scheduled to depart at 11:35pm. So, as we waited to deboard the plane I watched our chances to catch the next flight slip away. We made it off the plane at 11:36pm and checked with the attendent. Our next gate was the next one over!! BUT as I looked there were no other passengers and the board said on-time. I thought for sure we would be staying in Atlanta, but they held the plane........YEAH! The second flight was uneventful and both of the babies slept for most of it. A very nice woman helped me carry my two sleeping babies and all of our carry-on gear off of the plane. Nana and Charlene met us at the airport and they were a very welcome site after the long day of travel. When we stepped outside of the airport we were greeted with 80 degree weather and 80% humidity. I had forgotten how impressive the humidity is here. It wraps around you like a hug as soon as you step outside (well like a hug from a big sweaty guy that smells like salt).
As soon as I dig my camera out I will start snapping photos.
- Raleigh
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment